Monday, May 9, 2011

Psalm 30:11-12

I took Carter to Dr Carlile this morning to check things out since he was still running fever. Guess what the culprit is? A urinary tract infection!! Surprise, surprise! They called our urologist, Dr Joseph, up at Children's, and they decided they wanted us to come to clinic to be admitted. My mom, the greatest Meemer in the world, tagged along since Josh is at work. Once we got to clinic, they took another sample and dilated the stoma of his vesicostomy - OUCH! Carter didn't like that at all. They sent us on up to 5NW (praise the Lord - private bath!) and we got settled in. Being a renal patient, Carter has absolutely NO veins because he's been stuck so many times. SO they got the IV therapist (who has stuck him before - she remembered him!!) to place his IV. It's in an aggravating spot right above his ear, where he hits it when he flails his little arm when he's tired or cranky. Speaking of cranky, Carter has been oh-so-fussy all day long. It's been very emotional for me since he's usually so happy! Mom handles him well though, and helped me out so much. She just left to head back to Deatsville. So we've started an antibiotic, and we're getting fluids to avoid dehydration. Now we just have to wait for labs to come back to find out what bug we have this time. Last time we were here for 4ish days. Hopefully we'll repeat that (or shorter!) since I have my undergrad graduation Saturday, and a ton of things I need to get done before the wedding.

I have shed alot of tears today over my sweet boy being sick, but I am so thankful that we're in the shape we're in! We could be so much worse off - and I was reminded of that when I saw a dad in the crosswalk on my way to the parking deck. This dad's baby was admitted to the NICU shortly after Carter was born and started his stay at Children's. They are going on 5 months of "visiting" their child. I was so overwhelmed by thankfulness and the fact that we've had Carter at home for the majority of 3 months, and when we DO have to come to the hospital, we are able to room in and still care for him. God is good! A big thanks to Debbie Brooks for coming down that crosswalk shortly after I saw that dad and started to cry :) It was nice to see a friend and get a hug when my emotions got the better of me.

Carter is finally sleeping after an exhausting day of fever and aggravation - and this mom is heading to bed soon. Please keep Carter in your prayers, and Josh as he travels up tomorrow. Also, send up a prayer for NICU babies everywhere, and their families, as it's hard to leave your child, especially when they're in such a fragile condition. And please pray for Mrs Debbie's daughter, Jada, who has cystic fibrosis and is at Children's right now.

Psalm 30:11-12 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing; Thou hast loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness; That my soul may sing praise to Thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to Thee forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment